Goodbye Summer. Hello Fall. The leaves are falling, the temperatures are dropping, Halloween candy and winter clothes are out. The other day I was going through the girls clothes and replacing the shorts and tank tops in their drawers for fleecy pants, long-sleeved shirts and sweaters. On our morning walks everyone is now wearing hats, mitts and a jacket.
I know that today is officially the first day of fall but I am posting a yummy recipe that screams summer as a one last farewell. I came up with this months ago but wanted to make it a few more times before posting to be sure that it was perfect.
And that’s just what it is.
Oatmeal Coconut Peach Berry Crisp
A quick and easy dessert to prepare that is sure to please any crowd. The crispy oatmeal coconut topping is a perfect complement to the sweet peaches and berries. It is especially great served warm with banana soft serve.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 cups mixed berries and sliced peaches, either thawed from frozen or fresh (see note)
Note: I make this dessert using a Safeway brand of frozen unsweetened peaches and mixed berries.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour and coconut. Add the maple syrup, sunflower oil and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Spread the frozen peaches and berries into a 2 1/2 quart baking casserole dish. Top with oatmeal coconut mixture and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until the fruit is cooked and topping is golden.