Yesterday I was playing the sneaky mom again and mashing avocados into a double chocolate muffin recipe while the girls were outside playing. I have been wanting to make a chocolate muffin for a while now, especially because my kids love anything chocolatey. They still do not know the secret about the chocolate pudding or the cookie dough dip and I intend to keep it that way. It is just so funny to us whenever the girls say how much they hate avocados and would never dare touch them with a ten foot pole. Craig always says “you like them, you just don’t even know it.”
Apparently Serafina LOVES them! 🙂
Oil-Free Double Chocolate Avocado Muffins
A rich chocolate muffin made oil-free. The mashed avocado keeps these muffins nice and moist and adds some healthy fats. Plus, it is just so fun to get your kids to eat them!
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper baking cups.
- Mash the avocado in a medium mixing bowl, until smooth. Whisk in the maple syrup, cocoa powder, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Add the chocolate chips.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sea salt. Add the flour mixture to the medium mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the paper baking cups, filling them each 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
They ate them all. ALL OF THEM already.
He. He. He. 😉
Way to go, sneaky mama! These look delish, I’d really like to try baking with avocado.
Do try them! 🙂
That’s funny, just yesterday I was contemplating baking with avocado, and here you’ve beat me to it!
Love your muffin spokesmodel 😀
She is a good spokes model isn’t she?
very sneaky but also very cunning!
Pingback: Trial and error [this is gonna be fun] « VEGAN 404
She is way too adorable! I love love love avocado but for some reason have yet to bake with it. I think this will be my first try. 🙂
Can you make these gluten free? Everything looks amazing, but I can’t digest wheat.
I am not sure. I am sorry, I don’t know anything about gluten-free baking. Maybe try doing a search on replacing whole wheat flour in a recipe.
My son refuses avocado, nuts, etc, and my pediatrician emphasized how important fat is for vegan children and their developing brains, so I thought I would try these muffins… They were a HIT! My son gobbled them up, my husband ate everything left… They are gone! They taste even better than those fatty, commercial muffins I ate too many of in my pre-vegan days! I have made 20+ of your recipes and thank you for creating and sharing!!!
Wow! Thank you so much for your comment Jenn! I love to hear that there are people out there trying and enjoying my recipes! Comment anytime! I would love to know what else your family loves. 🙂
I made these muffins while my kids took their nap this afternoon. They were so excited to discover that we were having mini chocolate muffins for snack! We all loved them! I put some coconut butter on mine and it was awesome! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!
Thank you Whitney for your comment! 🙂 I am glad that you enjoyed the recipe.
Pingback: Raising Vegan Kids and How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy | Live. Learn. Love. Eat.
Pingback: Chocolate Avocado Muffins | The Chocolate Bottle
Oh wow these turned out great! So moist and delicious. Thanks for the amazing recipe 🙂
Thanks for your comment! Glad that you enjoyed the recipe.