This morning I made some delicious whole wheat blueberry buttermilk pancakes that I just had to share. Light, fluffy and delicious! A perfect way to start the day!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes 4-5 pancakes
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 2 cups vegan buttermilk (see below)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Vegan Buttermilk How-To
To make 1 cup of vegan buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add the milk to the measuring cup, filling it all the way to equal 1 cup. In this case you will need 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to fill a liquid measuring cup to equal 2 cups.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small dish, whisk together the ground flaxseed and warm water to make your flax egg. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- Place the vegan buttermilk in a small mixing bowl along with the sunflower oil and vanilla. Add the flax egg to this mixture as well. Whisk together until smooth and then add the blueberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the medium mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Place a small amount of vegan margarine in the heated skillet. Pour about 3/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook the pancake 3–5 minutes, until small bubbles start to show through the batter. Flip the pancake over and cook a few minutes more. Continue to make 4 or 5 pancakes. Serve with dairy-free margarine and pure maple syrup.