Today I wanted to share a recipe from my new cookbook. These squares are one of my husband’s favorite treats to take to work. I came up with this recipe when I was pregnant with Pheonyx and my appetite had finally returned. I craved PB & J, but I wanted it in this classy fashion.
I’ve always loved raspberries and we often buy frozen ones because they are cheaper and last longer. I love them with or in pancakes or muffins or with a snack like banana bread. I’ve even made a quick and easy jam using thawed out raspberries mashed up with liquid stevia drops and would eat that on toast as a sugar-free treat. (I highly recommend that!)
This recipe came about because of my love for fruit and desire for adding as much fruit or veggies as I can to whatever we eat.
And it doesn’t disappoint. 🙂
Use raspberries or strawberries, whichever flavor of jam that you prefer with your PB!
PB & J Crumble Bars
Makes 9 large or 20 small square bars
PB Oat Crust and Crumble –
- 4 cups quick oats
- 2 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup natural crunchy peanut
- 1/2 cup sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Jam Filling –
- 6 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or organic cornstarch
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, and sea salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, peanut butter, oil, almond milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Press 3/4 of the crust mixture into a non-stick 9” × 13” baking pan.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the raspberries or strawberries in a medium saucepan on medium heat until beginning to soften.
- Add the maple syrup and tapioca starch or cornstarch and continue to stir until softened and slightly thickened.
- Pour the “jam” filling over the crust in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the PB oat crust over the top of the “jam” filling.
- Bake uncovered for 18–20 minutes until the crumble topping is slightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.