What better way to warm up than with a nice bowl of roasted vegetable soup? This recipe is one that our family especially enjoys, made with roasted carrots, garlic and sweet potato and flavored with smoked paprika and hickory liquid smoke. When I first made this soup my daughter walked into the kitchen to ask, “What smells so wonderful?”
Smoky Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 medium carrots, chopped into 3-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- cloves from 1 large head of garlic, peeled (about 10)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the chopped carrots, sweet potato and garlic cloves together in a large mixing bowl and toss with the sunflower oil, sea salt, and pepper.
3. Place the vegetables onto the baking sheet and into the oven to roast for 40 minutes.
4. Once the vegetables have finished roasting, bring the vegetable broth, milk, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke to a boil in a large pot. Add the roasted veggies, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 3–5 minutes.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat and blend with an immersion blender, or allow to cool a little while before blending the soup in 2 batches in a food processor or blender on high, until pureed and smooth.
6. Return the pureed soup to the large pot and simmer on medium heat a few minutes more, until hot.
And as this soup is a part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck that is taking place today, feel free to browse along by using the buttons below to move on to the previous or next delicious vegan dish! 🙂
The button below will take you back to the beginning of the event and explain what it is all about.