Hi friends! I hope this blog finds you well. I know that this years has been so difficult for so many people and that this Christmas is different than anything else we have really lived though before.
Here in our province in Canada we are currently not able to see friends or family outside of who resides in our household or able to buy any non-essential items, (which include many things Christmas, books, toys, sleds, etc.) and we are unsure when the restrictions will lift. There is so much uncertainty but amidst all of that, I still find time to remind myself to breathe, slow down and focus on the positive and all of our blessings. I hope that for you, wherever you are and whatever you are going through, too.
One thing I have been very grateful for is that Kesa has been taking an interest and initiative in baking and cooking. She loves to bake and her and I have been enjoying coming up with new recipe ideas together. I had thought of this idea to add cinnamon to chocolate zucchini cake a little while back and took that idea further recently and added cinnamon to chocolate cookies.
These turned out wonderfully and I think are also a great healthy holiday cookie!
Double Chocolate Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, cinnamon and chocolate chips.
- Add the syrup and oil and mix to form a cookie dough.
- Roll the dough between your hands into tablespoon-size balls.
- Place onto a baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart and flatten slightly with your hand or a drinking glass.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe and if you do try it, please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. 🙂