Wow! I can’t believe that it is finally February! January seemed to be a long month with a lot of changes for our family and personal growth.
February is the month of my birthday and Valentine’s Day, which gives us an excuse to come up with even more delicious and creative baked goods, and yes, we’ve been browsing ideas and having fun in the kitchen already! ❤
Today, I wanted to share my latest baking recipe for Jam-Filled Doughnut Muffins. 🙂
These muffins are made with whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with maple syrup except for the sprinkling of cane sugar on top for the doughnut effect. Feel free to use whatever jam is your favorite. We used raspberry jam for a Valentine’s feel but I am sure that they would be great with any flavor!
Jam-Filled Doughnut Muffins
A healthy sweet treat with flavors reminiscent of a jam-filled, sugar-coated doughnut!
Makes 14 muffins
- 2 + 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1-2 tablespoons cane sugar (for sprinkling on top)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan (or pans) with 14 muffin liners .
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
3. In a separate, smaller mixing bowl whisk together the maple syrup, oil, applesauce, milk and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Spoon the muffin batter into a muffin liner, filling it 2/3 of the way full.
6. Spread the batter a bit in the middle and fill with 3/4 teaspoon of jam.
7. Cover the jam with a few tablespoons more of the muffin batter.
8. Repeat to make 14 muffins.
9. Sprinkle with cane sugar and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until slightly golden.
10. Allow to cool a little before eating.
These muffins are best fresh and eaten within 2-3 days, as the jam does not keep too long.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you give it a try by leaving a comment below or tag your photo on Instagram #livelearnloveeat