1. JACK JOHNSON Quite possibly my favorite human being on the planet. Although, I don’t know him I love his music and it always makes my happy! His lyrics are just so awesome and if ever I feel down and like I am the only one who thinks that this world is crazy, all I have to do is put on his music and I feel much better. 🙂 He even donates 100% of his To The Sea tour to charity and his entire band green their whole tour by not using plastic water bottles but drinking only tap water, do their best efforts to make zero waste on tour (by practicing the 3 R’s) eat locally and sell Eco-friendly merchandise.
2. INCENSE I love to burn incense. I find it so calming and peaceful. Our house either smells like a bunch of hippies or some fresh-baked good at any given time.
3. BE HERE NOW. This book is written by Ram Dass. I don’t know what I can say except that it is a book of awesome. Anytime I open it up I calm down and realize that all I need to do need to do is JUST BE HERE NOW!
4. INTO THE WILD. A film about Christopher McCandless, a young man who gives up everything to go off into the wild and escape from society. An awesome movie, based on a true story.
5. THE DAILY LOVE. Daily e-mails of inspiration in my inbox everyday to start my day on a positive note. GET THEM!
6. COLDPLAY. Can you believe I just discovered the awesomeness that is coldplay? I now listen to them all the time. I love them! If you haven’t discovered this awesomeness, you should.
7. THICH NHAT HANH. A Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist. I first came across his book Peace Is Every Step when recovering from my eating disorder. I read that book and many more and they helped me to be more mindful and led me to more inner peace and happiness with who I really was (not my body). I now own many of his books and listen to his CD’s as well.
8. YOGA You already knew that though. I am currently doing prenatal yoga and loving it. Yoga is my way to find inner peace. The effects it has on my mood and my mind is magical.
9. HEMPEN STUFF Handcrafted, all-natural soap bars. These are made in Big River Saskatchewan, Canada! I love all of the scents and the fact that they are made with natural ingredients. Check out their site.
10. MUFFINS! Homemade, vegan, sugar-free muffins, that is.
You didn’t think that I would leave this post without an amazing recipe did you?
Super Healthy Apple Pecan Breakfast Muffins
Gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy free and soy-free, these muffins are perfect for anyone and everyone. Unless of course you can’t stomach awesome. With the sweetness of cinnamon, dates and apples these muffins are a perfect way to start your day. The pecans add a beautiful touch and slight crunchiness. Flavorful, moist and super healthy to boot, this recipe is a keeper!
Makes 24 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced (2 1/2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two muffin pans with 24 medium-size paper baking cups.
- Place the dates in a medium mixing bowl and pour the boiling water on top. Allow the dates to sit and soak for 10-15 minutes, until they have softened.
- While the dates are soaking, place the oats in a food processor and blend on high a few minutes, until finely ground to make oat flour.
- Place the oat flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and spices and mix until combined. Add the pecan pieces.
- Place the softened dates and soaking water into the food processor and blend on high a few minutes, until pureed and smooth.
- Whisk together the date puree, sunflower oil, apple sauce and vanilla in the medium mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix until almost combined, then add the diced apples and continue to mix until just combined, careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the baking cups, filling them each 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Muffins ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Now for a little food porn…
I know why you are here. 😉
I gotta say, I love my little baking buddy! She always comes running into the kitchen, stopping whatever she may be doing (even watching Strawberry Shortcake) when she hears me taking out my mixing bowls.
She taste tests for me and always lets me know what she thinks.
Her reaction to this batter was (and I quote), “Mmmmmmm Sugary!”
I had her fooled!
Have a beautiful day! I know I will! 🙂