I have a new favorite muffin recipe! As you know, I love to bake and have many delicious muffin and quick bread recipes already, but these ones have got to be the best yet! If you are a fan of delicious, nutritious muffins, then this one is for you!
Blackberry Hemp Muffins
Hemp seeds are claimed to be the most perfect food for man. They are easily digestible and a great source of vegan protein. They also contain more of the essential amino acids than milk or meat and contain about seven times more omega-3 fatty acids than fish. I love to use hemp seeds in many of my recipes, but these muffins are my favorite way to use them.
Makes 21 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk (1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar + enough unsweetened almond milk to fill a 1 cup measuring cup)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two muffin pans with 21 large-size paper baking cups.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the shelled hemp seeds.
- Make the buttermilk by placing the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and filling the rest of the measuring cup with unsweetened almond milk. Allow the milk to sit a few minutes to curdle.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, maple syrup, sunflower oil, applesauce and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the medium mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined, then add the blackberries and mix again until just combined, careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the paper baking cups, filling them each 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Variation: Use fresh blueberries or raspberries in place of blackberries for something different.
Other Yummy Hemp Recipes: