Today the girls and I made some cinnamon buns. Not just any cinnamon buns. Quick-rise, whole wheat cinnamon buns!
Not just quick-rise, whole wheat cinnamon buns. Quick-rise, whole wheat, heart-shaped cinnamon buns!
I have been wanting to make some cinnamon buns for a while and today just seemed like a great day to spend some time together in the kitchen. Since it is also Valentine’s day today, at the last minute I thought why not make them into heart shapes? I think the heart shape made them extra yummy and fun too! 🙂
Lovely Quick-Rise Whole Wheat Cinnamon Buns
Whole Wheat Bun Dough –
- 1 1/2 tablespoons quick-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Cinnamon/Sugar Filling –
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Margarine, softened or other non-dairy margarine
- 2 cups organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, as much as you like
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (I was out of parchment paper, but it works way better to use some and makes clean up easier too).
- Place the yeast and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the milk and vanilla and continue to whisk until warm. Add the water to the saucepan as well and then pour over the yeast and sugar in the large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in two cups of the flour to the yeast/milk mixture, then add the baking powder, sea salt and remaining two cups of the flour and stir with a wooden spoon, until combined and a nice dough forms.
- Lightly knead the dough in the bowl a few times and then cover and let rise in a warm place for 10-20 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and place it onto a large surface that is lightly sprinkled with some whole wheat flour.
7. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (roughly 1 1/2 ft x 1 ft).
8. Spread the margarine evenly onto the rolled out dough with a spatula.
9. Sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon.
10. Use a pizza slicer to slice the dough width-wise into twelve equal strips.
11. Roll each strip halfway on both side, meeting in the middle. (This is where the fun begins).
12. Take the cinnamon roll in your hands and gently twist and pinch the middle of the dough to form the bottom of your heart.
13. Place the finished heart-shaped bun onto the baking sheet and press down slightly. Make sure to leave a little space between each bun, as they will rise when baking. Repeat to make 12 cinnamon buns. (You can of course just make these into regular buns as well).
14. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Enjoy warm from the oven with a nice cold glass of almond milk! 🙂
I hope that you guys enjoy this recipe! Cinnamon buns are something that we LOVE around here. I am glad that I now have this quick-rise recipe on hand for when I don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen.