We still love the beloved whole wheat banana bread recipe around here. I often make different variations of the recipe, including, Berry Banana Bread (or cake, if I put it in an 8 x 8 pan), Walnut Banana Bread, a plain loaf, or Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
The other day I decided that I would try the recipe oil-free and substitute an extra mashed banana, as well as some unsweetened applesauce to ensure that it wouldn’t lose its moistness (which is basically why this banana bread is so addictively delicious). I also lessened the amount of maple syrup I used because I figured it would be sweet enough with the extra banana.
I made the loaf oil-free a few times, once plain and once with Krisda chocolate chips. The third time I decided to add raspberries in with the chocolate chips to make it extra divine.
I love the chocolate chip loaf best, and the addition of the soft and tart raspberries made this recipe AMAZING!
Definitely taking this extremely addictive banana bread up a notch. Just look at how the gooey melted chocolate chips and raspberries combine! 🙂
Oil-Free Naturally-Sweetened Raspberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Makes one 9 x 5″ loaf
- 4 large overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup Krisda chocolate chips (or other non-dairy chocolate chips)
- 2 1/3 cups frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mash the four large bananas in a medium mixing bowl until free of any lumps.
- Add the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- In a separate, small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients along to the wet ingredients in the medium mixing bowl and as you are mixing, gently fold in the chocolate chips and raspberries, taking care not to over mix the batter.
- Pour into a non-stick, (or lightly greased) 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until lightly golden. Loaf is ready when a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think by leaving a comment below! 🙂