For a moment I thought my ears deceived me at lunch today when I heard a little voice say, “Can I have another one momma?”
Was that Kesa? Eating her lunch and asking for more?
Could it be?
Had the day come when I found something that she actually liked to eat?
Whole Wheat Vegan Corn Dog Muffins
A unique and healthy twist on corn dogs!
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 flax eggs (4 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 6 tofu or veggie dogs, cut in half (I used Yves tofu dogs)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt together in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flax seed and water. Allow to sit a few minutes to thicken, then add the milk, sunflower oil and maple syrup and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the medium mixing bowl along with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Spoon the muffin batter into a baking cup lined muffin pan, filling each cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Press a chopped tofu dog down slightly into each muffin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with ketchup or mustard. Store in a container in the fridge. Warm the leftover muffins for the next days lunch or snack.
Kesa loves her tofu dogs and could literally eat them at every meal, every day. Today I thought of making this recipe for her because I hoped that it would be something that she would like.
She was excited about the concept and was eagerly waiting as the muffins baked. She liked them… at first… and she did ask for more, but then I realized that she was just eating the tofu dogs off of the muffins and leaving the muffin part out!!
At least Autumn liked them! She always tries whatever I make and likes most of the meals that I make too.
Kesa on the other hand, well she just drives me crazy! I was so excited about this lunch idea today and really thought I could maybe win just one food battle.
After she ate the tofu dogs I at least got her to have some raw vegetables with her precious Catalina dressing.
That’s kids for you! I will keep trying though.You think that a regular kid would be in heaven eating the fun foods that I come up with and always having cookies or muffins on hand to snack on. My kids really don’t know how good they have it!
Anyways, these muffins are really good! And a great idea for a birthday party too!🙂