This is an easy lunch that I came up with yesterday…
Taco Salad Lettuce Wraps
This recipe is very simple, just prepare the Spicy Taco ‘Meat’ and Bean Mixture, assemble in romaine lettuce leaves and top with crushed tortilla chips!
- romaine lettuce leaves
- Spicy Taco ‘Meat’ and Bean Mixture (recipe below)
- crushed multigrain or corn tortilla chips
Spicy Taco ‘Meat’ and Bean Mixture
Great in taco shells, wraps or for taco salad!
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 1 (540 ml can black beans. drained and rinsed
- 1 (340 g) pkg veggie ground round (Yves)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large wok on medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion, pressed garlic and diced pepper and saute 5-8 minutes until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, black beans, veggie ground, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and continue to cook about 5-10 minutes more, until the entire mixture is hot.
- Spoon a bit of the mixture into the romaine lettuce leaves and top with crushed tortilla chips!
The Spicy ‘Meat’ and Bean Mixture is also great on its own too. Just like chili! If you make this recipe you will likely have some leftover. You can even eat the leftovers the next day as chili or enjoy with taco chips or in taco shells.