We interrupt regular fall recipe posts to bring you this delicious tropical muffin, flavored with banana, coconut and sweet and juicy pineapple tidbits.
I had bananas to bake with and decided to pair the sweet flavor of the overripe bananas with shredded coconut (two of my all time favorite ingredients for baking). Scanning my fridge, freezer and cupboard for an additional ingredient to add a little something, I came across a can of pineapple tidbits.
These sweet and delicious muffins will take you away to the tropics and get your mind off of the colder weather and inevitable arrival of winter.
My advice – Keep this recipe handy as needed to survive the cold and dark winter months. I know I will! 🙂
Tropical Banana Pina Colada Muffins
Makes 21 muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup medium unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 medium overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 (540 ml) can pineapple tidbits, drained of juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two muffin pans with 21 large-size paper baking cups.
- Combine the flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Add the maple syrup, oil, milk, pineapple juice, vanilla and rum extract (if using) and whisk together until combined and smooth. Stir in the pineapple tidbits.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix until just combined, careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the baking cups, filling them each 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The girls also LOVE these sweet little muffins! And I love knowing that their sweets and snacks are healthy and homemade!