Today I felt like sharing a yummy spring/summer recipe. I like to make baked oatmeal on the mornings that I am up earlier than the rest of the family and am looking for a more hearty meal. The sweet berries and peaches make it a delicious way to start the day!
- 3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup medium unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 3/4 cup diced peaches, canned and drained or fresh peeled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the oats, coconut, baking powder, sea salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the ground flaxseed and warm water in a small dish and set aside to thicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, sunflower oil, applesauce, and vanilla and add the flax egg. Stir in the blueberries, strawberries, and peaches then pour the wet ingredients into the large mixing bowl along with the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a 2 1/2–quart casserole dish and place into the oven to bake for 40–45 minutes. Oatmeal is ready when lightly browned and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup to taste (optional).