One reason I love homeschooling is because of the life lessons my kids will learn from being at home.
Since actions speak louder than words, I find that it is important to be conscious of what example I set for my girls and what they will learn from watching their mother as they grow up.
Things like how I exercise daily, go out for walks (even to get groceries), cook all of our meals, clean and bake are all examples of what I value and life lessons that I am grateful to have my daughters learn from my example.
They are learning that health is important and what the role of a mother and wife is in the household.
Autumn is already such a little mom, helping me out with the baby all the time and she is also an amazing cleaner!
Today my girls decided that they wanted to join me in the kitchen and bake some cookies! 🙂
I love it when they show an interest in baking and think that it is so important for them to do hands on activities.
Luckily, I have had this delicious idea saved in the back of my mind for such an occasion.
Mini Peanut Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Makes 3 dozen mini cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda and sea salt together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the medium mixing bowl along with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Roll the dough into tiny 1/2 teaspoon sized balls, place on a baking sheet and get your child to press their little thumbprint in the center of each cookie (or use your pinky).
6. Fill each thumbprint with a scant 1/4 teaspoon of strawberry jam.
7. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until very lightly browned. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
They certainly loved these little cookies.
Especially because we are peanut butter crazy in this house!
And I am grateful for the time we spent together and the memories that we are making along with our delicious creations.