Last night was taco salad night. I had leftover Smokey Hickory Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers and decided to get creative with it. I fried the leftovers up with some spices and made a totally delicious taco salad.
If it is possible, it tasted better than this picture looks. Although this picture is pretty mouth watering.
Tasty Taco Salad
- 1/2 a recipe Smokey Hickory Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 (220 g) bag corn chips or multigrain tortilla chips
- 1 (284 g) package soy nacho or cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups salsa of your choice
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place the leftover burger mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small dish combine the chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, sea salt and pepper. Add the spice mixture to the burger mixture and mix until combined.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add the burger mixture and fry for 7-10 minutes, stirring continuously until browned and hot.
- Place a large handful of the corn chips onto a plate. Top with the burger mixture and shredded cheese. Microwave for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Add the chopped romaine, salsa and green onions.