Whenever we have Breaded ‘Chicken’ Burgers, I always have cornmeal breading leftover. I don’t mind because I usually just save it and use it again the next time I make the burgers, but today I thought of a great way to use it up!
Oven Baked Onion Rings
Crispy oven baked onion rings coated in flax, cornmeal and whole wheat bread crumbs and seasoned with garlic, sage and thyme.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- leftover cornmeal breading, at least 3/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the milk, nutritional yeast and ground flaxseed together in a small mixing bowl.
- Place the cornmeal breading into a separate small mixing bowl.
- Cut the onions into 1/2 inch thick rings.
- Dip each onion ring into the milk/flax mixture and then into the cornmeal breading, flipping to coat. Place each breaded onion ring onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp.
I LOVE these. Made a second batch the next day and we ate them all up. They are very crispy and delicious! They are especially good dipped in Garlic Dill Mayonnaise!