I have been thinking a lot lately about life and who I am and what is important to me. I feel like it is so easy to not know or to lose touch with who we are and what we love when we are mothers or even just people in this society with everyone telling you what to think, who to be and what’s important in life.
This morning I felt the inspiration to write out what is important to me to be healthy and happy. To reflect upon who I am today and what I love and am passionate about.
This is what flowed.
What’s Important to Me:
- Faith – To me this means not getting stuck in any one way of thinking, thinking dualistically or black and white/good and bad, but leaving a space for possibilities and having an open mind and open heart to everyone I meet and all situations in life, without judgement.
- Positivity – Focusing on the good and beautiful in life as often as I can. Seeing and celebrating successes in life (even if they are small) among the trials and tribulations. Positive quotes, songs, words, thoughts and people are all important and uplifting to me.
- Gratitude – Being grateful for every breath, every meal, everything we own, every insight. Holding that space of gratitude for all of life. This also includes learning lessons from the people in life too, especially the difficult ones. There is always something to be learned.
- Love – Not that we can really fathom what love is as humans, though we try. To me love means being selfless and sacrificing. Doing what is needed at the moment for others. Opening my heart and being present in any situation where my entire self is needed. It can be anything really, from typing out an email to encourage someone, replying to comments on this blog, giving a hug, cooking a meal, talking to someone, holding the door for a stranger. Love and selflessness are so important to me. Self-love is also important and not selfish in its proper place. Taking time to take care for ourselves and doing things that we enjoy is also crucial to our health so that we can better be of service to others.
- Meditation – Taking time to watch my thoughts and separate myself from them. Taking time to breath and relax and get down to the depths of my being and who I really am. Whenever I try to nap is a time when seems best for meditation or right when I wake up in the morning (that is when I can really see what is all swirling around my head). Also yoga really helps me to separate myself from the thoughts, slow down, focus and let go of what is not important.
- Exercise – yoga, walking, running, jumping on the trampoline with the kids, swimming, biking, dancing. Whatever gets the body moving and the endorphins flowing. Exercise is such a mood-lifter!
- Healthy Eating – I love to know what I am putting into my body (the home of my spirit) and what I am feeding to my kids and family. This to me means choosing foods that are in their most natural state and closest to nature, lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains that the sun has grown and the earth has nurtured. Organic foods whenever possible. Healthy eating to me also includes moderation, having no fears about foods and enjoying things that may be “bad” or “junky.”
- My Family – Of course if this list were in order this would be top of the list. Spending time with each of my girls is important to me. These days I am trying to find ways to take time for each girl everyday. I started taking walks with my girls individually everyday, so that they each have their day with mom, one on one. It is hard to find the time to get alone with each girl, but it has been going well. They are all at different stages in life and so it is hard to even read books all together. I find Kesa is less interested in some of the books I have been reading to Autumn, so the walks are nice. Autumn and I walk and talk. Kesa and I go out together and she rides her bike or walks and picks me flowers. Serafina loves to ride in her little car or stroller and look at all the beauty of nature. Time alone with my husband is also important to me and to a healthy relationship between mom and dad in the household. Lately we have all been playing games together, which is so nice. The girls love card games, especially uno. Family to me also includes extended family, cousins, grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, etc.
- Nature – Getting outside everyday, rain, shine or snow. Everyday I have to see and experience the day, even if it is just for ten minutes. I need my fresh air and sunshine.
- Connection – I love connecting with others, even people I have never met. That is why I love blogging. I think it is so neat to “meet” people who are halfway across the globe and to see that no matter where we are in the world we can connect. I especially love connecting with others on a real human (or spiritual) level. Sharing life’s ups and downs and our more personal journey’s though life. Encouraging each other and sharing with each other. Connection is something important to me.
- Being Creative – Writing, drawing, painting, dancing, reading, cooking, baking, sewing, crafting. Whatever expresses my spirit best at the moment. This winter the girls and I did a lot of drawing. Autumn was doing her animal unit and so we drew a lot of animals, which was so much fun! I also want to get more into painting and of course I love to write! Writing to me is the greatest expression of spirit. I love words and compiling my thoughts. Writing helps me to see who I am and to best share that person with the world, whether it is a blog, a poem, an email, or a letter to my kids. I love to write. I also love to read aloud to my girls. Reading through the classics is a goal of mine. Right now we are reading the second book of Mary Poppins. This winter we read though 11 classic books and have many more to look forward to on our bookshelf.
- Living Simply/Rhythm and Routine – Staying around home, cooking our own meals, cleaning, being in the country and out in nature, having less, doing less, being, breathing and relaxing. I love to stay home and have our family rhythm and routine as much as I can. During summer we go out more to visit family and take trips to the beach, but other than that, home is where I like to be with my family. I love giving my kids a daily routine and rhythm too and having regular family meals and bedtimes. It is important to me too.
- Homeschooling – This is definitely important to me. Having my kids at home and being their teacher. Of course it isn’t easy, but it is so rewarding. People always ask me how I do it or how long I will continue to do it, or “what about high school?” but for now we are taking it one day at a time, living in the here and now and doing what needs to be done at the moment. I try not to think ahead too much and worry and stress myself, but hold that faith that everything will fall into place. So far it is working beautifully.
- Honesty – Being honest with myself and about myself.
- Balance – Finding balance in everyday life between all that I have to do and all that I want to do. Not being hasty and go, go, go, but also not being lazy and unmotivated. Also not being hard on myself.
- Health – Health in body, soul and spirit. Taking the time for all three during the day and again, keeping it all in balance.
That is the list that I came up with for myself this morning. I think it is very helpful to step back and write a list like this. Hopefully this has also got you thinking about what is important to you and you might also feel like making your own list of values to reflect upon.
Wishing you all a wonderful day! 🙂